top of page

There are three qualifiers for membership in the VFW, as set out in our By-Laws. An individual must meet all three in order to become a member. They are as follows:

  1. Citizenship – must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National.

  2. Honorable Service – must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and either received a discharge of Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions) or be currently serving.

  3. Service in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters. This can be proven by any of the following:

    • An authorized campaign medal (see a full list of qualifying medals and badges)​​

    • Receipt of Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay (verified by a military pay statement)

    • Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days

More detailed information on VFW eligibility can be accessed here

*This information is usually available through a veteran’s DD-214. If other information is needed or if a veteran’s DD-214 is not complete, they can contact the National Personnel Records Center online or at 314-801-0800 to request more information.

bottom of page